Skip to main content

Dil to bachha hai ji…

There are some things in life that make you nostalgic. Some things that take you back down the memory lane, to your childhood. It can be some taste, some smell, some songs, some food item or just the face of your child or a day like today, the Children’s Day.

I have fond memories of my childhood and the images are still fresh in my mind. I can visualize everything, as if it was just yesterday. I can see my old house, my school building, my classroom, my bench, my teachers, my friends, my town, my playground and so on.

I lived in a very simple house in a modest suburb of Bombay (back then it was not Mumbai. Well, technically it was in the Thane district). I lived in a chawl. We had a common gallery and in the evening everybody gathered for a chit chat. It was like a one big family. People shared their happiness and consoled each other during difficult times. I think that was the best thing about living in a chawl. Now the buildings have become taller, houses bigger but heart smaller.

Rainy season was memorable. I remember sometimes travelling to school in waist deep water. I had a red gum boot. It was amazing to go to school on a rainy day and then have a holiday declared due to rains.
One thing I realize is that as a child, knowingly or unknowingly, we find the silver lining. Its only when we grow up, things start bothering us.

Sundays were fun. The day started by the tune of Rangoli and Chayageet that was followed by Ramayan and then Mahabharat. During summer vacations, there was a one hour slot called ‘fun time’, this had serials like stone boy, He-man, Three Stooges, etc.

I remember watching giant robot. At that time it was perhaps the best animated show. Surbhi and Bharat ek khoj were the source of informative shows in absence of Discovery and National Geography. Dekh bhai dekh and zaban sambhalke were the best comedy shows, even today it would be the best. It was telecast back to back. Kille ka rahasya was a thriller. Cartoons were Duck Tales, Tales spin, Jungle Book and Tom and Jerry.

Evening time after school was with friends. We played blind man’s bluff, dabba aispais (modified version of hide and seek), dongar ka pani, lagori, kona kona were the games we played. (Sorry, I don’t know the English version of these games; for that matter I don’t know whether they even exist today). Another game was to make small balls out of mud and throw it on the wall of the building next to our chawl and see who throws the maximum.

Life really seemed less complicated. Only worry was completing your homework, being on time to school and exams. No googles, no projects, teachers were the only source of information. No KFC, No MacD, No Pizza Hut, No Dominos and no other fancy names existed back then. Vada Pav, Pani Puri, Malai Gola, Chammach (crushed ice with sugar syrup) was delicacies. Going for a movie was a festive occasion.

Today we have more options, more facilities. Life has become comfortable but complicated. TV is flat screen with HD. Chawl became building and then building became complex and so did life.

The problems were never visible when I was a child. They were only acknowledged when I grew up.

As a kid, I always wanted to grow up. I envied adults who had no homework to do, no exams to give; never ever realizing that when I would grow up, I would want to be a child again.

Childhood is a most important phase of life. It is instrumental in shaping a person’s character. The stories we hear, the experiences we have, the lessons we learn; all helps to build our value system, our beliefs, our attitude and thus our personality.

When I look at the kids of the current lot, they don’t look like kids. They have nothing childlike in them. They look like adult bonsai. I have not seen them playing traditional games or playing in the mud or just soaking in the rain. They have their virtual world of video games and internet. I wonder what the next generation kids would be like. I think if you ask them, ‘who gives us milk”, they would reply ‘Hypercity’ or ‘Nestle’ or ‘Amul’.

I feel there is a child in each one of us. The challenge is to keep it alive. It is always hidden there deep somewhere under the mask that we put on. The pretense of being mature. The pretense of being perfect. The pretense of being strong. We like to portrait ourselves like a straight face mature individual. We live our lives with that seriousness, sabotaging the child inside. When was the last time we laughed our hearts out like a child or wept like a baby? The best thing about a child is that it emotes. No feeling is suppressed. We grown-ups are deprived of this liberty. We seldom emote. As a kid we may have hugged our parents every single day. Many a times we would have kept our head on their lap and slept or put our head on their shoulder and cried. But when we grow up, we cease doing that. I am no exception to this.

Most of the time, the child within doesn’t even come out when playing with our own kid. This is one thing we all should give a thought to.

Every one of us has some childhood memories. I leave it up to you to remember your own stories, to find and connect your own dots because only you know where the dots lay on the canvas called life. Only you know where you have left the hand of the child in you during your life’s journey.

On this children’s day may you find the child in you.

Cheers to life. Cheers to the child in us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stok Kangri Trek: A Mystical Romance

At the stroke of midnight as Leh lulled to sleep, the four of us were readying ourselves for our tryst with destiny. All geared up with gaiters, snow boots, harness and crampons ready for the climb, we were awaiting the final call for summit from our Trek leader, Nitesh. It was windy since couple of days and the rain god was smiling blissfully at the Stok mountains. During the day the azure sky was filled with fluffy clouds which occasionally were nudged by the playful wind to give a glimpse of the snow-clad mountains. It seemed as if a game of hide-n-seek was in play.   The bright red, yellow and blue tents spread across the base camp looked like a necklace embedded with precious jewels was adoring the neck of the alpines. All these looks celestial but its not a good weather for the summit. If it continues raining, the summit would be aborted. Here in my tent, listening to the pitter patter of the rain and the hustling sound of the cool breeze, I am wondering what was ...

Resolution 2015 x 247

As the year enters into the denouement and the curtains are about to be drawn, it is time to celebrate the achievements, learn from the mistakes and introspect on the year gone by. Every end is the beginning of something. If you believe in the concept of rebirth, death is also a beginning of new life. Night is the beginning of a new day. What the New Year brings is the hope for a prosperous new year. I believe year ends are the time when you sit back and think about the year that has gone by. Counting your blessings and thanking god for the beautiful life he has given you. For thanking life for the experiences it has given you through the year making you stronger. It is time for you to make resolutions for the coming year. There was a Stanford research report that I recently came across which said that, the brain cells that operates will power are situated in the prefrontal cortex, that’s the area of the brain right behind your forehead. This is a very small area and henc...

What’s your Hobby?

I was recently doing an Employee Newsletter for my company and we decided to do a hobby feature for that particular edition. We thought of asking our colleagues what their hobby was. This is the time when I realized that it is not an easy question to answer. The first question that comes into the mind when somebody asks you, "What's your Hobby?" is what the hell is Hobby? The Wikipedia definition says “A  hobby  is an activity, interest, enthusiasm, or amateur pastime that is undertaken for pleasure or relaxation, typically done during one's  leisure time”. I thought of digging the earth deeper. There are so many things that we like but we seldom spend time on it. I think, Things that you think about often but haven’t put into action are ‘Interests’. These ‘Interests’ backed by action becomes ‘Hobby’. Mathematically speaking, Interests + Action = Hobby. When Prof. Sahasrabudhe in 3 Idiots says ‘Life is a race’, we all nod in agreement. It has in...